Road Supervisor - Highway Department
- JOB SUMMARY:
- Under the supervision of the full Rolette County Commission; the Road Supervisor is responsible for performing lead supervisory responsibilities, including but not limited to carrying out work assignments in accordance with safe, standard equipment operation practices in relation to all county road maintenance projects and repairs.
- The preferred applicant, although not required, will possess some College education and/or knowledge or experience in engineering.
- Must be a high school graduate, 18 years of age or above and preferably have one to three years’ experience in a supervisory capacity, one to three years’ experience as a road equipment operator or other construction related work using all the essential skills and equipment needed in this position.
- Must have the ability to supervise and motivate employees.
- Must have the ability to work as a team with employees and colleagues.
- Must possess skills to operate trucks and other heavy equipment under adverse weather conditions. Must possess skills needed to operate hand tools.
- Must have the ability to interact with the public in a courteous and responsive manner.
- Must ensure all work is performed in a safe manner and that all safety procedures are followed.
- Must possess and retain a CDL Class A Operator’s license.
- Must have the ability to do all paperwork, inventory, monitoring, ordering, negotiating required.
- Communicate and cooperate with County Commissioners.
- Work closely and in conjunction with the County Auditor for matters related to Human Resources, Finance, Payments, Purchasing Cards, Receipts, etc.
- Prioritize and schedule all work activities. Recognize and communicate to County Commissioners and priority projects or issues.
- Supervise all road employees in regard to training, directing, organizing, planning and monitoring the day-to-day road operations, including safety of workers, equipment, projects and issues.
- Create a positive and productive work atmosphere by communicating and maintaining a professional manner with supervisors, employees and the general public.
- Inspect roads, signs, bridges, culverts etc. for maintenance requirements.
- Schedule all seasonal activities, i.e. spraying, mowing, culvert cleanouts, etc.
- Carry out a regular maintenance schedule for routine and preventive maintenance of equipment and keep records on all major pieces of equipment.
- Perform a variety of field assignments, this is defined as at times will be a “Working Supervisor” position that will fill in during workforce shortages or under emergency conditions or as the situation demands.
- Follow weather conditions affecting roadways and make provisions for any extra maintenance required; giving high priority to winter maintenance, plowing, sanding and salting operations that may require longer working days including weekend work, if/when necessary and approved county commission.
- Maintain a working knowledge of federal, state and local statutes and regulations affecting department operations. Ensure all employees maintain all required licenses and certifications required to perform their jobs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by County Commissioners.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Physical environment consists of indoor/outdoor exposure to various extremes of climate and weather, day and night.
- Will include physical motions of sitting, standing, walking, bending, pushing, pulling, crouching, twisting, grasping, climbing, lifting and carrying heavy items and other possible motions.
- Will be required to work on or beside busy highways or roads and work at various heights from ground, on bridges, trucks and/or other heavy equipment.
- Occasionally required to work early shifts, respond to call back or emergency procedures.
- Employees in this position are subject to random alcohol and controlled substance testing in accordance with federal and state mandated laws and requirements.
Open until filled
Send all Applications/Resumes to County Auditor Kimberly WuoriPO BOX 939Rolla, ND 58367701-477-5665